Sunday, January 16, 2011

Hot n Sour n AWESOME Soupiness


It seems like the entire country is in the grip of a never-ending cold right now. Sniffling and sneezing and snotting left, right and centre, there's no escaping it. So, when Nigella tweeted the other day that recipe of the day on her site was hot and sour soup, I was on to it before you could say "a box of Kleenex and a packet of Lemsip please mister pharmacist".

One of the essential ingredients in the soup is Tom Yum paste, which gave me an excuse to engage in one of my favourite hunting and gathering missions, rummaging around in the Asian market.

As recipes go, it's hardly rocket science. In fact, it practically cooks itself. You start off with 1.5 litres chicken stock and 1 tablespoon tom yum paste in the pot, and add 4 chopped lime leaves, I roughly chopped stick of lemongrass, the juice of 1 lime, 4 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 chillies and 1 teaspoon of sugar.


In go the mussies, about 150g of them, chopped.


And finally, add 550g peeled prawns and 6 chopped spring onions.


I wanted to bulk it up and make it more substantial, more of a meal, so I added some egg noodles.

Lil sprinkling of coriander and I'd say the whole thing only took about ten minutes.

Now if that doesn't clear your head, nothing will.

No comments:

Post a Comment