Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Porridge Topping Du Semaine

I've decided that if myself and porridge are going to get on for any decent amount of time, it's going to have to keep me interested, shake it up a little every now and then, make a bit of an effort. So my action plan is to have a new porridge topping every week. Last week it was dried apricots and berries soaked in orange juice and then simmered in a pot with a cinnamon stick, this week it's simply some frozen blueberries, heated up in a saucepan on the hob while the porridge cooks Not rocket science by any means, but a cheap, speedy and inexpensive way to get the day going. 

One packet of blueberries costs €2 in my local Superquinn and lasts me three breakfasts.


They are so very, very low maintenance - I think that the most effortful step in this particular process is going out to the freezer. Look at the icy little round sweet purple berries - so handy that you don't have to  think about defrosting them the night before, they just go right from frozen to hot and syrupy in the pot.



Now, porridge is a very nourishing and wholesome substance, but day-um it is boring. Look at its creamy-browny blandyness. Snore. It needs some serious accessorising.

I love the way that the berries just settle in the middle and the juices flow out to surround the edges of the bowl, like some kind of fruit castle with a big oaty moate.

But, of course, nutrition must always be added where possible, and so the seed mix (pumpkin seed, linseed and sesame seed mix, €1.50 for a packet in Superquinn that would last me roughly 2 weeks) and manuka honey are most likely going to be constants, no matter what else I decide to put on my porridge.

And there it is, an early morning work of art. Just looking at this warms me this right to the core.

Though more of an artistic creation to be consumed rather than to be admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment